Comments section of a blog is very important to move a conversation ahead and makes a blog active. It’s very very important to treat the comment section seriously and make it more people friendly. Specially if you are blogging on a self hosted wordpress, then you have all the freedom to customize your comment section in whatever way you like. Below I am providing few plugins for comment sections. They will not only enrich your commenter experience but also will make your job pretty easy.
When a blog gets popular, it gets a loads of comments everyday and hence bloggers turn on comment moderation. Even I recommend people to activate it. In this way you can delete or edit those spam comments, Akismet is not perfect. Lets get back to the post. When your blog will be successful, people will start commenting for various reasons. They might have liked your post or they want a backlink. They might want to be a successful blogger’s friend or they love participating in different conversations. They will be a lots of reasons. So, when you get such no of comments, how much time would you dedicate to moderate them? This comment moderation time will affect your posting rate. So, I suggest you to use some plugins which will make your blogging life more easier. Have a look on the list below.
- Extended Comment Options for WordPress: This wordpress comments plugin comes in handy. Very easy tyo use. You don’t need to edit your comments one by one. This plugin gives you an easy access to do whatever like with your comments.
- Dofollow: Many people do not like posting in NOFOLLOW blogs. NOFOLLOW is a keyword that googlebot recognizes and do not count the comment author’s websites as a linkback. But this plugin will make them DOFOLLOW. Which means the commenter’s website will have a DOFOLLOW link from your blog and this will make people to comment more and more.
- Comment Relish: This is a pretty cool wordpress comments plugin. It will allow people to send an e-mail directly to the people who have commented earlier. This will bring more user activity in your blog.
- Show Top Commentators: The title says it all. It will show the list of top commenters on your blog. And this might inluence your readers to comment more and more, so that they will get noticed.
- Live Comment Preview: By default there is a preview button where people can see the look of their comment. But this wordpress plugin will allow people to see the live preview of their comment even when they are typing. It uses an AJAX feature, so it loads fast.
- WordPress Paged Comments Plugin: Now suppose you are getting hundreds of comments. So, it will look ugly showing all those comments in one page, and this will also affect your page load time. But this plugin comes here as a charm. It will cut your comments into pages, like the way forums do. After certain no of comments, you have to go to that comment section’s 2nd page to view more comments and so on. I think this is more professional way to handle large no of comments.
- Get Recent Comments: This wordpress plugin will show the list of recent comments on your blog. So, that people will come to know about the recent activites.
- WP Ajax Edit Comments: I love this plugin. This will allow people to edit their comments within a specific time. And you can decide that time limit from the admin menu.
- Close Old Posts: In general old posts of a blog have higher PRs. So, most people try to comment on those old posts to get backlinks, but often, those comments are worthless. So, you can use this plugin to stop people from commenting on posts older than X days. Here you can determine the X. You may like to keep X=30 or X=180.
- Favatars: It will show your commenter’s avatar as their website favicon. This is not that much necessery, but still you can use it as it appeals.
I will add more later. So, keep checking my blog regularly. You can also subscribe to my blog to stay updated.