Safe mode in Windows is the troubleshooting mode where limited drivers and resources are functional. The files and drives that are necessary to boot and operate the Windows 8 OS properly. To debug any kind of issues related to your OS, system is operated in the safe mode. Booting into safe mode with previous versions of Windows OS is easier by, but with Windows 8 it is not. Here is the tutorial how you can log into Windows 8 safe mode.
With the previous versions of Windows OS holding down F8 key at the booting screen itself. But, this trick doesn’t work for Windows 8. The safe mode in Windows 8 is however disabled and you need to enable it manually. Once you have enabled it you can then get to the safe mode by any other means and whenever you wish.
Get to Windows 8 Safe Mode
To boot into Windows 8 Safe mode there are two possible ways that are described in this tutorial.
Boot into Safe mode with Windows Advanced Settings
The charms bar in Windows 8 serves well to bring up various options in the screen.
- Open charms bar by holding Windows key+ C
- Click settings > More settings in the bottom right corner of the charms bar
- Next, go to general tab and navigate to Advanced settings
- Click restart to open the advanced start up mode and wait for restart
- Click on Troubleshoot in the windows that appears after restarting Windows
- Select Advanced Option and a new window opens from there select Windows startup settings
- Now restart your system to enable safe mode logging.
Upon completion of the steps you will see the option Safe boot in the screen. Use navigation keys to select it.
Boot into Safe mode with msconfig (System Configuration)
System configuration wizard is used to control the windows startup. You can enable or disable any program in the startup program from this wizard.
- First open Run dialog box and type msconfig
- Go to boot tab and check the safe boot box and select apply to get a prompt indicating you to restart your system to get into safe mode.
These are methods used to start windows 8 in safe mode. Once done with all the debugging activities in the safe mode you can start your system in normal mode. Simply go to system configuration and uncheck the safe boot box and select normal startup. Restart your system to boot back into the normal startup mode.