With the variations made in Windows 8, many features are seen missing from the new OS. If you are a Windows 8 user for a while then you must have come across the features that are missing from the new OS. For instance, Microsoft has dropped Aero themes from Windows 8 RTM in order to improve overall system performance. In addition to this the feature that allows you to change the default font color of active toolbar menu, change desktop icon color, customize border padding, message box, selected items, hyperlink, scroll bar, inactive title bar and window border i.e. Advanced appearance settings is also missing in Windows 8. Here is the tutorial how you can change the Border Width in Windows 8.
However, Windows 8 RTM includes basic themes (visual styles) and you are only able to change the default color of the window and taskbar. As Advanced appearance settings is dropped from Windows 8, so if you want to change the border Width of Windows in Windows 8, then here are two process which will allow you to do so.
Use Registry to change the Border Width of Windows in Windows 8
Due to the missing Advanced appearance settings, one has to edit the windows registry to make any changes in the border size. Before making any changes in the registry make sure to set a restore point in the system. Follow the steps described below to change the border size.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and hit enter
- Upon prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click Yes to proceed
- Now you can see Registry window in front of you in the screen. Navigate to the following location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
- Move to the right pane of WindowMetrics and double click on PaddedBorderWidth to modify it
- Now, assign a data value of 0 (zero) or between -1 to -1500, and hit OK. The higher the value i.e.-1500 the wider the window border and vice versa
- Finally, close the registry window and sign out and sign in back with your user account to apply.
Use Tiny Window Borders to change the Border Width of Windows in Windows 8
Many users don’t favour editing registry as even a small mistake can lead to severe errors. So if you are the one among them, then here is the alternate way how you can change the Border Width of Windows in Windows 8 using a third party tool named Tiny Window Borders.
WinAero has developed a tool that allows you to change the default window border size in Windows 8. Simply download and run the tool with admin rights. Drag the slider towards left to reduce the border size and vice versa. Once you are done, log off and log on back to see the changes or else restart the Windows Explorer to see the new window border size.
Tiny Window Borders is compatible with both x86 and x64 version of Windows 8 OS. It is always recommended to create a system restore point before making any changes to default system settings, so that if anything goes wrong you can restore back your original settings.
Upon following the methods described above you can easily change the border size of the Window in Windows 8 system.