Earlier, we have discussed about how to set or enable picture password, here in this tutorial we will discussing about hot to disable picture passwords in Windows 8. Windows 8 included many features to improve its functionality and is quite different as compared to the earlier versions of Windows. Picture password in Windows 8 allows you to login account by certain gestures on a picture. There are users who might not be in favor in displaying the other users on the system. To do so, you can disable. Here is the tutorial how you can disable picture passwords feature in Windows 8.
The process of disabling the picture passwords in Windows 8 involves changes in registry or local group policy.
Disable picture passwords using Registry in Windows 8
- Press Windows + R to open RUN dialog, type in regedit and hit enter. This will open system registry
- In registry editor window, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System Registry key
- In the right pane of System Registry key, right click on an empty space and create a new DWORD named BlockDomainPicturePassword and assign a value data of 1
Once you have completed the steps, save and close the registry.
Disable picture passwords using Group Policy in Windows 8
- Press Windows + R to open RUN dialog, type in gpedit.msc and hit enter. It will open local group policy editor window
- In policy window, expand to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
- In the right pane of Logon, Double-click on the Turn off picture password sign-in setting option and properties window opens
- In the Windows that opens, select the Enabled radio button and hit Apply/ OK.
- Finally, close the Group Policy Editor.
You can now go to user login tile and see that the password picture logon feature disabled in Windows 8.
If you are a user other than Windows 8 Professional or Enterprise, you need to use the registry option.
Before making any changes in the system registry or local group policy you should create a back up or set a restore point, at any time if any error occurs, you can revert back to original settings.
If you have picture password enabled in Windows 8 login, follow the tutorial here to disable it.