- De Voorkant Releases Air-Gallery 1.0 App for iPhone and iPod touch
- Apple to Launch iTunes Radio in the UK in Next Year
- Toshiba DynaBook N300 Netbook Available Soon in Japan
- Remove Pre-Installed 1st Party T-Mobile/ Samsung Apps from Galaxy S II with Automated Debloater
- Vobis Computer Released Highscreen Hippo Tablet
USB devices are very useful in carrying data from one computer to other or say from one place to other. Although USB Storage device serves an important role but it is more important to maintain privacy of the system and data stored in them. USB device can be the culprit behind data theft or any malware attack to the system. USB ports serves as the gateway of communicating between two devices. Here is the tutorial how you can disable USB port on Windows 8 to prevent the access of any USB device connected to the system.
There are lots of chances of malware attacking or data theft by unknown users or say unauthorized gain of data from the USB device. To prevent any kind of data theft or maintain system privacy you can block the USB port on your laptop or system. In windows 8, user can disable all USB port through simple registry setting.
How to Disable USB port on windows 8?
- Go to start screen and bring the charms bar by pressing Windows Key + C or move your mouse to the right side of the screen to get the charms bar and open the search box
- Now, type regedit in search bar and click regedit icon that appears in search results in left pane
- A new window named Registry Editor appears on the screen
- To the left of the registry editor, Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then click on SYSTEM
- Next select the option CurrentControlSet and click on Services option
- Now click on USBTOR option and move to the right pane of the window and double-click on the START option from list panel
- A new small tab named edit DWORD (32 bit) value appears; here you have to set the value to 4 under Value data tab
- Finally, click on OK button and close the registry editor window.
Upon completing all the steps above you will find that your system doesn’t respond to any externally connected USN device. To enable USB back, follow the above mentioned same steps and change the Start DWORD value to 3.
Configuring the registry settings using the steps described above only USB storage devices like pen drive, external hard disks and mobile USB connector are disabled. While USB mouse or USB keyboard or USB Printer Port are not blocked, they can be accessed as it is.
Block the USB ports to secure all the valuable data on your Windows 8 computer and also prevent the access of any malware activity.