- Packard Bell Offers oneTwo M & oneTwo L slim all-in-one PCs
- iOS 5 Multitasking and App Switching Concept [Video]
- Trick to Open or Load Firefox Faster During Start Up
- Bootloader Unlock Tool for HTC Sensation will be Released in September
- Olivetti Olibook M1030 Netbook Supports Intel Atom N450 Processor
Nowadays, we carry portable USB devices to carry information and data to anywhere in the world. USB devices like pen drives, Micro SD card, flash drives, external hard disks and many more are used by many users. Many important information related to our daily life that may be personal or professional are contained in our computer. You can protect your data from getting stolen by blocking the USB port or say by disabling the USB port. Here is the tutorial how you can disable the USB port on your computer to prevent access of your data or secure the data stored on your computer.
USB storage devices are commonly used these days. By disabling the USB port you can disable or block the USB ports for USB storage devices or disk drives. To block the USB storage devices on your computer, follow the given steps below.
If you have the administrator permission, then it will be easier to disable the USB drive detection on your PC.
There are four ways to enable/disable the access to USB drives, they are discussed below
Enable/ Disable USB port with Windows Registry
This is the better way to ensure a complete blockade to the USB devices by altering the settings in the Windows registry.
- Go to Start > Run, to open the RUN box
- Type in regedit and hit enter to open the registry editor
- Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR
- Go to the right pane and select Start and change its value.
To enable USB port – change the value from 4 to 3
To disable USB port – change the value from 3 to 4
Enable/ Disable USB port from Device Manager
If you want to disable or enable the USB device on your computer, you can do so by going into the Device Manager. Right-click on my computer > Manage > Device manager and Check the USB ports. Enable the disabled port by right clicking on selected one and click Enable.
Un-install the USB Mass Storage Drivers
To access USB device necessary drivers must be installed on your system. You can uninstall the drivers required for USB Mass Storage Devices so that upon plugging on your USB device Windows will prompt you to install the driver.
Use of USB Drive Disabler /Enabler
USB Drive Disabler / Enabler is a freeware tool that can be used enable or disable the USB ports or drivers on your windows computer.
Disable the USB ports to secure the data or information stored on your computer by using the methods described above.