SkyDrive an online storage App for Windows 8 that allows you to store and share online files that were saved in SkyDrive.com. It offers a storage capacity of 7GB for free to new users. Once you download the App on your system a SkyDrive folder is created that is in sync with the online SkyDrive account, that means it lets you manage your file or folder on SkyDrive.com from the desktop or file explorer itself and vice versa. The tutorial is all about how to install or Uninstall SkyDrive Desktop App in Windows 8.
For existing users it offers an upgrade to 25 GB for a limited time for free. Whenever you add or delete or move files and folders in SkyDrive folder in file explorer, the online SkyDrive account automatically updates. If you move a file or folder from file explorer to online SktDrive Account a max of 2 GB of data can be moved.
SkyDrive Store app is built-in Windows 8 and you can see the tile on Start screen. From here you can view and browse the files that are saved to SkyDrive.com. The desktop app can be downloaded for free and automatically sync your files across your computers. If you are novice to Windows 8, here is how you can uninstall or install and setup the free SkyDrive desktop using your Microsoft account in Windows 8 and start syncing your files across your system automatically.
But before you install SkyDrive on your System following requirements are essential
OS required either 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 8 with a processor powered with 1.6 GHz or higher, 1 GB of RAM or higher and with a minimum screen resolution of 1024 × 576 and most importantly, a high speed Internet to keep the folder in sync with the online account.
Sign-in as an Administrator
Steps to Install and Setup Microsoft SkyDrive Desktop App in Windows
- Firstly download and install SkyDrive desktop app from Windows Live Essential 2012
- Once the App is installed, open File Explorer and go to SkyDrive folder under Favorites in the navigation pane or open Run dialog and paste the following %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SkyDrive\SkyDrive.exe
- Or download and install only SkyDrive Desktop App from this link and click on SkyDriveSetup.exe file to run from your desktop
- Next, click on Get started
- You are automatically signed in to SkyDrive if you are logged in your account and need to add a location for where the SkyDrive folder is to be created, by default it is C:\Users\(user-name)\SkyDrive but you can also browse any location you like
- Now, select the files and folders that are to be synced with your SkyDrive from file explorer and click Next
- In the next window, you need to check to allow) or uncheck to prevent Fetching of files on PC using SkyDrive.com on any computer, and click Done
Now you can see SkyDrive folder created on your Windows 8 PC and you are able to sync with folder in the cloud as well.
Steps to Uninstall Microsoft SkyDrive Desktop App in Windows 8
- Click on Control Panel tiles to open it in icons view and select the Programs and Features icon
- In Programs and Features tab, double click on Microsoft SkyDrive
- Upon prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
That’s all. You can now see that the SkyDrive desktop app has been uninstalled from your PC for all users.
However, if you want to make any changes in the SkyDrive sync settings, you can do so anytime from the SkyDrive icon in the taskbar notification area.
The tutorial here let’s you install and uninstall SkyDrive in Windows 8 and also lets you manage the files folder both in file explorer and cloud.