USB not detected on Windows 8 when the USB drive is working just fine. When you plug-in your USB device or pen drive it doesn’t show up on the Computer File Explorer. There can be several reasons behind this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps help your PC recognize or show the plugged device on Windows 8.
USB storage devices are mostly used these days. On inserting the USB Drive it doesn’t show up or say is not detected. Here are some possible ways to fix this issue on Windows 8.
- Firstly, make sure that your USB drive is not a faulty one. If not then try out the other steps below.
- Check if your USB port is blocked or disabled. Many users disable the USB port to prevent malware infection or data theft. Follow the steps below to check for it.
- Open search charm and type in Device Manager
- Open Device Manager, go to Universal Bus controllers and right click on the Host controllers and enable them.
You can also enable them using Registry.
- Press Windows + R and type in regedit and hit enter. This will open the registry editor
- In the registry, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR
- In the right pane, select Start and change its value
- To enable USB port – change the value from 4 to 3
- Open Computer Management and see if you can locate the Drive for USB or USB drive is showed up there. If yes go to next step.
- If still you are unable to locate or USB drive is not showed up then, Open control Panel and go to folder option. Click on the View Tab and uncheck the option Hide Empty Drives in the Computer folder. By this the USB will be showed up on the explorer.
- Run full system scan using Anti-virus or MSE. IF the issue is due to malware infection then it will be fixed after full scan.
After following the steps, plug-out USB and Restart your system and again plug-in back. Hope the USB drive is showed up in the Windows 8 explorer.
Hopefully the steps described above help you fix the issue with USB not showed up on Windows 8 system.