If you are a Windows 8 user then you must have come across the new feature called password reveal. When you sign in to your Account and start typing your password in password entry field you get to see a fermata eye button or password reveal button appear at the end of the password field. When you hit the button or this feature users are able to see the actual password while typing or what they type instead of dots. Here is the tutorial about how you can show or hide the Password Reveal Button or fermata eye button in Windows 8 user login box.
However, this feature is useful and reduces the chances of typing wrong password. But it also can be threat to your privacy. For instance, if someone is near you while you are typing your password can risk your secrecy and privacy.
The procedure described below is somewhat applicable to all Windows 8 components and applications using Windows 8 system controls, including Internet Explorer.
Before moving or applying the procedures on to the steps make sure that you are signed in as an administrator or have admin privileges.
Show (Enable) Or Hide (Disable) Password Reveal Button Using Local Group Policy Editor
Editing group policy or to use the procedure below you must be using Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise editions.
- Firstly open policy editor window, to do so type gpedit.msc in start screen and hit Enter Or open Run dialog, and type in gpedit.msc and hit OK
- Upon prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
- In group policy editor, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Credential User Interface
- In the right pane of Credential User Interface, you see Do not display the password reveal button option and double on it
- If you want to Enable Password Reveal Button for all Users, then select (dot) Disabled or Not Configured and hit OK
Or else if you want to Disable Password Reveal Button for All Users, select (dot) Enabled and hit OK.
Once you have completed all the steps you can close the Local Group Policy Editor window and reboot your system.
Upon restart you can see that the Password Reveal Button is enabled or disabled as per your preference in Windows 8 sign in password field.